Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Reflections on Nine Months of Motherhood

My little (big) Owen will be 9 months old in a matter of hours, and it's hitting me like a ton of bricks.

I know, I know... It's 9 months. It's not like he's turning 1 yet or anything, but this just feels significant to me.

Ok, I'm giving a cheese warning before I start typing this.

I have the most incredible child ever. He amazes me every day with his intelligence and personality, and I love him more than I could have ever imagined loving anything. I know that everyone says this about their children, but I get it now.

I understand why my mom was such a worry-wort about me growing up. I understand why my parents were always so kind to me, even when I made stupid decisions. I know why they did the things they did, and I know that I will be the same way with Owen as he grows up. There is literally nothing he could do that would make me turn away from him. This, my friends, is unconditional love.


I still remember the first time he 'interacted' with me. He was maybe 5 weeks old, and we were sitting on the couch. He and I made eye contact and I 'ooo'd at him. He 'ooo'd back. It sounds insignificant, but it was incredible.

It's been so fun to see the way his interactions with us have developed since then.

Now, Owen and I have 'conversations.' They tend to go kind of like this:

Owen: 'Di di di uh-bu!'
Me: 'Di di di uh- bu?'
Owen: 'Grrrrrrrrrrr.'
Me: 'Oh, yeah? Why are you growling at me?'
Owen: 'Dada.'
Me: 'Say 'Mama''
Owen: 'Grrrrrrrr!'

Though he may only speak in gibberish right now, we understand each other. I know what sound means he wants me to pick him up and which cry means he's hungry. I know which growl means he is just playing and which one means I'm going to have to change a diaper in the next 10 minutes.

He gives me high fives and plays with the buttons on my shirt and grabs at my phone while I'm trying to talk on it, and I love it. He pulls things off of the coffee table. He follows me to the door when I'm leaving for work (which makes it hard to leave, I might add).

Today, when Ross got home from class Owen was ecstatic. As soon as he saw Ross, he followed him around and yelled until he picked him up. I know it made Ross feel good that Owen was excited to see him. There is no better feeling in the world than knowing someone missed you while you were gone.

We are Owen's entire world, and he is ours.

I cried the other day driving to work thinking about him being only 3 months from a year old. I can't believe that my squishy little chunk is growing up so quickly. He's already trying his darndest to walk. He climbs things. He has 8 (sharp!) teeth. He's so big. I can't even handle it.

It's hard to think that one day he'll be so grown up that he won't want to follow me around the house all day. He won't enjoy me singing him obnoxious Veggie Tales songs or dancing around the living room. Hell, I'll even be sad when he learns how to pet Rupp correctly (without ripping chunks of fur out, that is).

I know this is rambling and scattered, but I've had all of this on my mind lately. If you have any suggestions for making time pass slower, I'll gladly take them.



They day he was born:



Today:

1 comment: